President George Bush Turnpike Widening Project Description
The PGBT Widening Project includes widening the PGBT from Interstate 20 to State Highway 183 and from Belt Line Road (Irving) to State Highway 78 to four lanes in each direction. All widening will take place within the existing center median.
The project is being built in phases, and construction is underway or completed in some sections.
- PGBT between U.S. 75 and the Dallas North Tollway and westbound between Renner Road and U.S. 75: Construction began in May 2015 and the fourth lane was opened to traffic in November 2016
- SH 78 to U.S. 75: Construction began in June 2017 and the fourth lane was opened to traffic in October 2018
- DNT to I-35E: Construction began in July 2017 and the fourth lanes, in each direction, were opened to traffic in December 2019.
- I-35E to Belt Line Road (Irving): Construction began August 1, 2019; anticipated completion, weather permitting: Late 2021
- SH 183 to I-20: Now under construction. The northbound fourth lane from I-30 to SH 183 opened to traffic in July 2020. Anticipated completion, weather permitting: 2022.
We can also email this report to you each quarter. If you would like to be added to our CPR distribution list, please send us a note at ProgressNTTA@ntta.org.
Click here for “Frequently Asked Questions” about the PGBT Widening Project.
Progress in Pictures
Photo Slideshow – View photos of the PGBT Widening Project construction.