Dallas North Tollway Improvement Projects Description
DNT Improvement Projects consist of various projects that extend along the DNT from the Sam Rayburn Tollway south to Interstate 35E. These projects include:
- Sam Rayburn Tollway to President George Bush Turnpike: the addition of a fourth lane in both directions
- DNT/PGBT interchange: reconfigure the existing direct-connector ramps on the north side of the interchange to add another lane
- SRT to I-635: resurfacing the roadway pavement, restriping and relocation of existing light poles from the center median barrier to the outside
- PGBT to Belt Line Road: restriping to add a fourth lane on southbound DNT from PGBT to the Belt Line Road exit and restriping to extend the existing fourth lane on northbound DNT from the Trinity Mills Road exit to the PGBT exit
- Harvest Hill Road to I-35E: replacing the center barrier, resurfacing the pavement and adding new pavement markings. For more information on these improvements, click here.
Various Closures to Begin at Northwest Highway/Lomo Alto Drive area
Below is a map of the DNT Improvement Projects.
Along with this map are detailed schematics of the DNT Improvements:
From SRT to PGBT
From PGBT to north of I-635
Map of DNT Improvements from PGBT to Interstate 635
Construction continues on the improvements along DNT between PGBT and I-635. Below is a map of the construction area.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click here for “Frequently Asked Questions” about the DNT Improvement Projects.
Progress in Pictures
|Photo Slideshow – View photos of the DNT Improvement Projects construction.|
- Construction on the DNT/PGBT interchange and on the main lanes between PGBT and SRT began on June 1, 2015.
- Two B.I.G. meetings were held on June 23 and 24, 2015. NTTA held the second round of B.I.G. meetings on Sept. 29 and 30, 2015.
- At the January 2016 Board Meeting, contractors were selected for construction and management services for the section from I-635 to PGBT. The board also authorized lowering of speed limits to 55 and 60 mph in the construction area at the beginning of construction.
- The first B.I.G. meetings of 2016 were held on Jan. 26 and 27.
- Construction from the DNT/PGBT interchange to I-635 began on March 28.
- First Addison Area area B.I.G. meeting was held on April 21, 2016.
- B.I.G. meetings for the Legacy and Interchange areas were held on May 24 and 25, 2016.
- The Tennyson Parkway bridge was partially demolished June 11-13, 2016 in order to continue construction on the DNT main lanes.
- A B.I.G. meeting for the Interchange area was held on Aug. 31. 2016.
- A B.I.G. meeting for the Legacy area was held on Nov. 15, 2016.
- B.I.G. meetings for the Legacy and Interchange areas were held on March 22 and 23, 2017.
The remaining half of the Tennyson Parkway bridge was partially demolished March 31-April 3, 2017 in order to continue construction on the DNT main lanes.
- Construction on improvements from Harvest Hill Road to I-35E began April 9, 2017.
- At the April 19, 2017 Board Meeting, the board authorized lowered speed limits of 55 mph in the construction area for improvements located between Harvest Hill Road and I-35E.
- The Legacy and Addison area B.I.G.s met on May 9 and 10, 2017.
- On May 19, 2017, the southbound Trinity Mills Road entrance ramp temporarily closes to traffic to rebuild the retaining wall and ramp.
- The Legacy and Interchange area B.I.G.s met virtually on Aug. 9, 2017 to provide businesses an update on the DNT projects.
- Two full closures took place over a weekend in August 2017 to place beams at Tennyson Parkway and pour the concrete deck for the new Legacy Drive U-turn bridge.
- On Aug. 28, 2017 the new southbound Windhaven Parkway exit ramp opened to traffic and the southbound Parker Road exit ramp closed to traffic. The ramp was relocated on Sept. 1, 2017.
- On Sept. 1, 2017 the southbound Trinity Mills Road entrance ramp was reopened to traffic.
- In Dec. 2017, multiple milestones were reached, including:
- The four north- and southbound main lanes on the DNT from Park Boulevard to the Sam Rayburn Tollway were opened to traffic.
- The northbound entrance ramp from Parker Road was reopened to traffic.
- The southbound entrance ramp from Windhaven Parkway was reopened to traffic.
- The southbound Parker Road exit ramp was reopened to traffic.
- In February 2018, the additional lanes of the DNT/PGBT direct-connectors were opened to traffic.
- In March 2018, the south-to-northbound U-turn lane at Legacy Drive was opened to traffic.
- In June 2018, the existing center median barrier was replaced with the new barrier from Harvest Hill Road to Lovers Lane.
- On the weekend of June 29 to July 2, crews paved the asphalt surface overlay and restriped the southbound main lanes from Harvest Hill Road to Northwest Highway.