Dallas North Tollway Improvement Projects Description
DNT Improvement Projects consist of various projects that extend along the entire 32-miles of the DNT between U.S. 380 and Interstate 35E. These projects include:
- U.S. 380 south to Sam Rayburn Tollway: The addition of a fourth lane in both directions.
- SRT to President George Bush Turnpike: Complete; added a fourth lane in both directions
- DNT/PGBT interchange: Complete; reconfigured the existing direct-connector ramps on the north side of the interchange to add another lane in each direction
- SRT to I-635: Complete; resurfaced the roadway pavement, restriped and relocated the existing light poles from the center median barrier to the outside
- PGBT to Belt Line Road: Complete; restriped to add a fourth lane on southbound DNT from PGBT to the Belt Line Road exit and restriped to extend the existing fourth lane on northbound DNT from the Trinity Mills Road exit to the PGBT exit
- PGBT to Harvest Hill Road. Remove and replace the center barrier.
- PGBT to Harvest Hill Road to I-35E: Replaced the center barrier, resurfaced the pavement and added new pavement markings.
See our Corridor Progress Report for the latest information.
Progress in Pictures
|Photo Slideshow – View photos of the DNT Improvement Projects construction.|
- Construction on the DNT/PGBT interchange and on the main lanes between PGBT and SRT began on June 1, 2015.
- Two B.I.G. meetings were held on June 23 and 24, 2015. NTTA held the second round of B.I.G. meetings on Sept. 29 and 30, 2015.
- At the January 2016 Board Meeting, contractors were selected for construction and management services for the section from I-635 to PGBT. The board also authorized the lowering of speed limits to 55 and 60 mph in the construction area at the beginning of construction.
- The first B.I.G. meetings of 2016 were held on Jan. 26 and 27.
- Construction from the DNT/PGBT interchange to I-635 began on March 28.
- First Addison Area B.I.G. meeting was held on April 21, 2016.
- B.I.G. meetings for the Legacy and Interchange areas were held on May 24 and 25, 2016.
- The Tennyson Parkway bridge was partially demolished on June 11-13, 2016 to continue construction on the DNT main lanes.
- A B.I.G. meeting for the Interchange area was held on Aug. 31. 2016.
- A B.I.G. meeting for the Legacy area was held on Nov. 15, 2016.
- B.I.G. meetings for the Legacy and Interchange areas were held on March 22 and 23, 2017.
- The remaining half of the Tennyson Parkway bridge was partially demolished the weekend of March 31-April 3, 2017 to continue construction on the DNT main lanes.
- Construction on improvements from Harvest Hill Road to I-35E began April 9, 2017.
- At the April 19, 2017 Board Meeting, the board authorized lowered speed limits of 55 mph in the construction area for improvements located between Harvest Hill Road and I-35E.
- The Legacy and Addison area B.I.G.s met on May 9 and 10, 2017.
- In May 2017, the southbound Trinity Mills Road entrance ramp temporarily closed to traffic.
- The Legacy and Interchange area B.I.G.s met virtually on Aug. 9, 2017 to provide businesses an update on the DNT projects.
- Two full closures took place over a weekend in August 2017 to place beams at Tennyson Parkway and pour the concrete deck for the new Legacy Drive U-turn bridge.
- On Aug. 28, 2017, the new southbound Windhaven Parkway exit ramp opened to traffic and the southbound Parker Road exit ramp closed to traffic. The ramp was relocated on Sept. 1, 2017.
- On Sept. 1, 2017, the southbound Trinity Mills Road entrance ramp was reopened to traffic.
- In Dec. 2017, multiple milestones were reached, including:
- The four north- and southbound main lanes on the DNT from Park Boulevard to the SRT were opened to traffic.
- The northbound entrance ramp from Parker Road was reopened to traffic.
- The southbound entrance ramp from Windhaven Parkway was reopened to traffic.
- The southbound Parker Road exit ramp was reopened to traffic.
- In June 2018, work began on the northbound Oak Lawn Avenue entrance ramp, southbound Lemmon Avenue entrance ramp, northbound Lovers Lane exit ramp, southbound Walnut Hill Lane entrance ramp, southbound Northwest Highway exit ramp and DNT frontage road (Lomo Alto Drive).
- Pavement improvement work on the northbound Oak Lawn Avenue entrance ramp, southbound Lemmon Avenue entrance ramp, northbound Lovers Lane exit ramp, and southbound Walnut Hill entrance ramp was completed in July 2018.
- In February 2018, the additional lanes of the DNT/PGBT direct-connectors were opened to traffic.
- In March 2018, a new south-to-northbound U-turn lane at Legacy Drive was opened to traffic.
- Crews completed pavement improvements on the DNT frontage road (Lomo Alto Drive) in October 2018.
- In October 2018, crews completed placing the new center median barrier between Harvest Hill Road and I-35E.
- In October 2018, the NTTA Board of Directors approved raising the speed limit on portions of the DNT where work was nearing completion. The new speed limits are as follows:
- 70 MPH: SRT to PGBT
- 65 MPH: PGBT to I-635
- In November 2018, crews completed resurfacing all north- and southbound lanes and ramps between Harvest Hill Road and I-35E.
- In December 2018, pavement work on the southbound DNT exit ramp to Northwest Highway was completed.
- In January 2019, crews completed striping all north- and southbound lanes between Harvest Hill Road and I-35E.
- In Jan. 2019, environmental engineering began on the section between U.S. 380 and SRT.